Thursday, August 11, 2011

Just For Fun: Greeting Cards


You are running late for a birthday party and just realized you forgot to get a card. You quickly run into CVS, all decked out in your party face/attire and dart towards the card section. As you quickly try to find any card that reads "Happy Birthday" there is an obnoxious girl in your way. She has twelve cards in her hands and she is reading and fondling all of them. Within the thirty seconds you are standing next to her, she giggles and even wipes away a tear. GOD, what is her deal, can she back off? Well, that's me and I'm sorry. I have no control. Really, I have a problem.

I love, love, love greeting cards for a few reasons. They have the potential to be oh-so-pretty and creative. I've been inspired by great design seen in greeting cards for various projects. Materials, color combinations, compositions and on and on I could go. Then, of course, they are so incredibly thoughtful. My minor obsession may stem from my mother's greeting card choices for me over the years. Whether it was a birthday/graduation/we miss you card, they always made me so happy (and nine out of ten times I would tear up). So, when it comes time for me to pick a card for someone I care about, I take my time. And if you think it's weird that I gave you a 'Happy Thanksgiving' card, then I apologize...again. 

There are many times when I'm inspired by fun cards. But, there have been instances when I leave the store with nothing in hand. Nothing was designed well-enough or witty enough or sweet enough to buy. And, because of this, I decided I will start designing and giving out my own cards. Now, I will be the first to say I am no poet, so I intend to keep them short and sweet. I'm starting out with simple materials- printing on a high-quality double side matte paper. But, I intend to get more intricate with time. 

My first card (seen above - top is front, bottom is inside) is inspired by my recent European adventures. I love the vintage look of maps. I photographed a globe and played with the idea of foreign stamps. As I create more cards, I will be sure to post them. And if in the meantime I get in your way at the card aisle of CVS, you have permission to shove me away. 

No comments: